About Me

My photo
Documenting my odyssey into the wonderful world of fantasy writing and beyond. Can't promise I will always be on topic as the world is vast and full of such wonderous, and sometimes terrible, distractions. Email me: cassandra.jade.author@gmail.com

30 April, 2009

Inspiration

I often wonder how difficult it must be to have no inspiration in this world. It seems like such an inaccurate thing to say. One look outside would fill the mind with images, smells and sounds. A single conversation could be deconstructed and reconstitute so many different ways it might well keep you busy for eternity. With the Internet and the marvellous sensory feast available with a few swift clicks, it is very odd for there to be nothing inspiring you.

The problem is that it is the wrong phrase. It isn't that one is not inspired. The problem is that though you have all of these images and ideas competing for your attention, none of them are coming together cohesively and the ability to translate the thought into words is currently failing you.

Many times it is a case of information overload and simply focusing on a single notion for a while may help. Cutting the distractions free from the mind and beginning to craft a plan from a single spark of interest.

Other times the problem comes from genuinely having a block with words. The idea is in your head, crystal clear, and ready to be explored, but the words fail. At times like these I tend to go for list writing. Simply jot, in the most ordinary fashion possible, the idea and then work on expanding each point out until I either decide the idea isn't worth pursuing, or until I suddenly latch onto a phrase or word that sends me into a typing frenzy.

The few times I am in search for extra inspiration, I have discovered that YouTube is completely addictive. Try Tomalsorans "Hive Mind Flight Patterns", silversobe's video clip to "Electric Feel" by MGMT, or RedStormProduction's "Haunted Forest". With that last one, is it just me or are the trees moving?

Finally, I leave you with this:

"Inspiration is wonderful when it happens, but the writer must develop an approach for the rest of the time... The wait is simply too long."
Leonard Bernstein
US composer & conductor (1918 - 1990)
Let me know what inspires you.

2 comments:

  1. I know exactly how you feel - I sometime wish I could plug a laptop into my brain and have it extract the story from my head - words can indeed fail and there is far too much distraction around!

    btw thanks for dropping by

    SF

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yes, I've been there. You have the whole story in your head but find it impossible to put into words. Sometimes, it's just a matter of working harder at it, until the words flow, some other times, you need to give up.

    ReplyDelete

Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

Subscribe

Subscribe