About Me

My photo
Documenting my odyssey into the wonderful world of fantasy writing and beyond. Can't promise I will always be on topic as the world is vast and full of such wonderous, and sometimes terrible, distractions. Email me: cassandra.jade.author@gmail.com

13 April, 2009

The journey this week...

Or this week-ish...

Since beginning this blog, I have become more caught up in writing than ever before. How someone can become more obsessive than obsessive is still a small mystery, but I know I am very focused on my goal right now of becoming a published writer.

To that end, I am doing a quick run down of my efforts in writing.

1. Firstly, I have to say I have clocked a lot of time on the webook website checking in on the vote. With just over seven days left, the campaign is really taking off. Messages and project invites have been flying thick and fast. Admittedly, some members of the site will be glad when the vote is over, but for those of us putting our work up and seeing some of the comments it is receiving, the whole experience can be quite exhilarating, and nail biting. My collection of short stories, Progression, seem to be doing well with many positive comments so far. The most uplifting came today from Kamigawa who left a comment stating "Great fluent writing style combined with great plots and interesting twists". As far as positive feedback on my writing, I couldn't really ask for more. Even the couple of not so uplifting comments haven't been terrible. My fingers are crossed that my stories continue to be enjoyed.

2. Secondly, I have been reading and collecting articles and blogs like crazy on anything even remotely related to writing and publishing. I've been particularly interested in the argument of self-publishing vs traditional publishing, as I have been considering self-publication recently. Not that I have any intention of jumping into anything blindly. More research is needed on this issue.

3. Thirdly, I have been editing like crazy. I have put a hold on all new writing until I finish at least a second draft of the novel I am working on, and that has sent my brain into overdrive with hundreds of new story ideas. All of which, are currently being scribbled in a notebook and firmly put aside. I will not continue to dance around several projects without finalising anything. I am going to focus and I am going to succeed. If I say it often enough, I know I can make it happen.

4. Finally, two interesting articles on writing that caught my attention this week that I want to share. From Jennifer Roach, a discussion on how to make writing flow like a good album, and Nathan Bransford asking what your characters want.

That is this week, or there abouts. I re-read my first post in this blog today and realised I said I would probably only be posting about twice a week. That will be true, once the holiday is over and I am back at work. I'm actually glad that I've had some time to write.

The journey continues onward, always.

1 comment:

  1. FWIW, my take on self-publishing: http://blog.tomlwaters.com/2009/04/14/salvation-through-selfpublishing.aspx

    ReplyDelete

Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

Subscribe

Subscribe