About Me

My photo
Documenting my odyssey into the wonderful world of fantasy writing and beyond. Can't promise I will always be on topic as the world is vast and full of such wonderous, and sometimes terrible, distractions. Email me: cassandra.jade.author@gmail.com

30 May, 2009

This week's writing journey

Let me be honest, this is more than the week's journey. It has been nearly two, maybe three weeks since I have managed to do a wrap up of my writing journey. There are a number of highlights at the moment.

1. On Wednesday, Elizabeth Spann Craig (who writes the blog, Mystery Writing is Murder) has kindly offered a guest blog on how to turn that wonderful idea you've just had, into an actual project. It is going to be a great read and in the meantime, you can check out her blog and find out the other wonderful advice she offers.

2. My own writing has taken a turn for the better. With one MS out seeking publication, another in about its third stage of drafting and a third one recently completing the first draft stage, I have found writing to be addictive. The more that I have done, the more I've wanted to do. I have two project ideas currently involved in a duel to the death inside my head, to determine which one will make it into full project mode next. I've also decided that this Christmas I am going to tackle the rewriting of one of my favourite short stories into novel mode. I have been putting it off for a long time because I used to suffer from an inability to complete long projects and I didn't want this one to be sitting half finished.

3. My online social network continues to expand. As I'm relatively new to all of this my blog has only 9 followers, but every one of them is someone I am glad to have following, and I have read all of your comments with joy. However, the more important part is that I'm now following 30 blogs of people whom I have greatly come to respect for their writing and advice (as well as their stories that they share). It has been a priceless experience finding these and the difficulty now is finding the time to read all of that useful advice.

4. Something very off topic, I came to the realisation that I am never going to make one of my lead characters sick. I hate being sick. I've been sick for the last two and a bit days and I am very much over it. It is miserable. There are very few things that will stop me from writing, but being sick is one of them. I might give a character I despise an illness, but I would never inflict illness upon one of my favourite characters without good reason.

So that's the writing journey at the moment - always moving forward and finding something new of course. Definitely visit the blog on Wednesday to check out the guest blog, and pass the word on to your friend. Also, tell me where you are up to in your writing journey.

3 comments:

  1. Very interesting post. You're obviously very close to your characters to avoid inflicting illness on them! I hope you feel better soon.

    You're doing a great job building your network. I'll be sure to tweet your posts, too.

    Elizabeth
    Mystery Writing is Murder

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your enthusiasm! It's terrific when ideas are coming with great speed and ferocity.

    I agree that reading other bloggers' posts can be very time consuming, but we do love it don't we? I figure that I'm practicing my writing while I comment so that's a reward in itself.

    Best wishes on all that you're writing.

    Oh, regarding what I'm writing. For now, it's just what I write on my blog and my comments on other's blogs and on www.annlinquist.wordpress.com. This morning, I awoke and as the wheels in my brain started turning, I experienced a pretty strong sense of direction regarding where I should go with my writing. I've been unsure for a long, long time, so this is exciting for me.

    I'm one of your followers, for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Someone wise once said "think of the 10 worst things you can do your character, then think of how you can make it worse." Almost always makes for good reading!

    And thanks for pointing out the follow box. I missed it previously.

    ReplyDelete

Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

Subscribe

Subscribe