About Me

My photo
Documenting my odyssey into the wonderful world of fantasy writing and beyond. Can't promise I will always be on topic as the world is vast and full of such wonderous, and sometimes terrible, distractions. Email me: cassandra.jade.author@gmail.com

25 June, 2009

Something Different - Quotes to Inspire

I love quotes. Finding those very short phrases that have been polished and worked until they roll right off the tongue and conjure the most perfect images is so much fun. Most of the time the speaker has been forgotten, the context lost, and all other relevant data forgotten, but the quote still stands, and people use it, on and on again.

Secretly, I think all writers want to create that amazing perfect phrase that stays in people's minds forever - long after they are gone and the work forgotten. I don't know that I ever will, but it is something to think about.

Some of my twitter thoughts on writing:

"If a journey must begin with a single step, than a novel must begin with a single word."

"If all the words have been written, take them, mix them up, and create anew."

"It bothers me when people talk about writing like a mystic gift - it seems to belittle all the effort and sweat most writers go through."

"Your life is like a book, a good blurb will only take you so far."

Anyway, the list. My favourite quotes of all time, as written in my notebook, from authors unknown or identified. Please be sure to tell me yours.

  • "Shoot for the moon! Even if you miss, you will land among the stars."
  • "How beautiful it is to do nothing, and then to rest afterwards."
  • "Teachers affect eternity; they can never tell where their influence stops." - Henry Adams
  • "There is nothing better than a good friend except a good friend with chocolate."
  • "The one important thing I have learned over the years is the difference between taking one's work seriously and taking one's self seriously. The first is imperative and the last disastrous." - Will Durant
  • "Do not ask me what you cannot give yourself."
  • "You'll never reach your destiny when only travelling on the shiny days."
  • "C.R.E.A.M - Cash Rules Everything Around Me." - (don't know where from originally) - quoted on Dark Angel
  • "Hearts do not break; they are only bent and mutilated." - Kerry Green
  • "False hope is nicer than no hope at all."
  • "To invent something you need a good imagination and a pile of junk."
  • "To see a world in a grain of sand, and heaven in a wild flower, hold infinity in the palm of your hand and eternity in an hour." - William Blake
  • "Everyone is a moon and has a dark side, which he never shows to anybody." - Mark Twain
  • "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

1 comment:

  1. I like this one: Feel the fear and do it anyway.
    -Susan Jeffers

    ReplyDelete

Share

Share/Save/Bookmark

Subscribe

Subscribe